Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Genre of My Novel Life
If you wrote a book about your life, would anyone read it?

      I started writing a novel, based on real events and real people.  Because of the close connection to my life, I thought of a question I've heard in the past, one of those thought provoking questions about the meaning of life.  It asks, "If you wrote a book about your life, would anyone read it?"  Naturally my thought train starts careening down the tracks. 
*Picture Marty in the DeLorean from Back to the Future.*

If everyone wrote a book about their lives (their “Novel Life”) and had to publish it…

      My first thought; what if they are a shitty writer, or (God forbid) have a boring life? How sad they would be when no one found their life novel!  Then again, what I consider boring may be entertaining to someone else. 

Then, something occurred to me. 

*Train continues rolling down the tracks.* 

The happenings of someone's life aren't necessarily the determinant of their story. The story they write would most likely be their interpretation of the events mixed with their common inner dialogues.  Those two factors would determine what genre their novel would be.  What are the options? 

*This is where I realized I didn’t know a comprehensive list of genre’s* 

After visiting Wikipedia I came up with the following:
Drama, Poetry, Fantasy, Humor, Fable, Fairy Tales, Science Fiction, Realistic Fiction, Horror, Legend, Mystery, Mythology, Romance, Epistolary novel

How could an individual’s interpretation of life events and inner dialogues manifest the genre of their “Novel Life”?

The sad and overworked 28 year-old man, who hates his desk job and listens to Michael Buble when he’s feeling lonely….that’s a tragedy.
The paranoid schizophrenic who recites sonnets to anyone who will listen, all the while spitting out his daily medication – humorous psychological thriller
My sister would most likely write her life as a dramatic fairytale (She’s more in the realm of fantasy in that respect.)
What about me?

First I contemplated the book I am writing. It contains a snapshot of my life, and although I am using real people as characters the events are fiction.  So….that book would definitely be a romantic drama (sex, suspicion, custody battles, *the works*).  What about my whole life? If I were held to the same standard as the rest of society, and had to pick a genre for my Novel Life, what would it be?

Because I was ignorant of the different genres for literature when the thought train first started rolling down the tracks, I thought of stories I've read, and which style I most closely related to my life. The book that came to mind was one a dear friend shared with me; the perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.  

      Completely unlike the protagonist in my outward behavior (he was shy and I’m NOT), I really relate to and appreciate certain elements within his story.

      The lessons Charlie (the main character) learns are not at the climax of a dramatic plot.  The lessons are derived in the quiet, private, contemplative moments throughout his day, and the way he describes them shows he gives them a sort of reverence.  One example is when he told his teacher that his sister’s boyfriend was physically abusive.

“he said something to me I don’t think I’ll forget this semester or ever. ‘Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.’”

My favorite instance is also the most celebrated line from the book, described here in context:

“Anyway, Patrick started driving really fast, and just before we got into the tunnel, Sam stood up, and the wind turned her dress into ocean waves. When we hit the tunnel, all the sound got scooped up into a vacuum and it was replaced by a song on the tape player. A beautiful song called “Landslide.” When we got out of the tunnel, Sam screamed this really fun scream, and there it was. Downtown. Lights on buildings and everything that makes you wonder. Sam sat down and started laughing. Patrick started laughing. I started laughing.
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”

*Ahhh...doesn't that just make your soul happy?!*

There is self-reflection when you least expect it, and moments of innocence and mindfulness.  I relate to this and would write my life similarly for how I've conducted it so far.

SKUUUURRRRRTTTT!!!!!!!  HALT THAT TRAIN.

I’m in charge, right?
I create my universe?
In essence, I have control over what genre my novel life would be.

So the better question is not what would it be, but more importantly, what do I WANT it to be?

*Oh Lord.  This is getting subway style in a hurry. (Subway style = too many choices)*

After reviewing the options it wasn't hard to decide.  I would add elements of the legend genre; stories of a hero with a basis in fact, but also including imaginative material.  My inner dialogue is constantly telling me there’s a purpose for my struggle, and that I will eventually ROAR Katy Perry Style.  Give me a few years, and you can read it for yourself.



What is the Genre of Your Novel Life?  If you wrote it today, what would it be?  If you owned the freedom of having a choice, what would you choose for yourself?  Post in the comment section what the Genre of Your Novel life would Be!

1 comment:

  1. fascinating point on Genres, I would bring up another point you started to hit.Interpretation. Is in fact not everything effected by how you feel about it
    In fact I go so far as to say a person with Agoraphobia who works in a cubicle may in fact find that to be very exciting where as someone like me would find it insane to even sit still for more than 6 months at a time. The entire idea is novel you have brought up darlin'. Very cool stuff

    ReplyDelete